66 ALLEN ST
66 Allen Street/315 Grand Street was built in 1886 as a cast iron retail palace for The Ridley Brothers Department Store, at the time the largest store in the world. Within 10 years Manhattan had moved uptown and the building began a downward spiral culminating in the amputation of its western bay when Allen Street was widened in the mid-1930’s. The evidence of this slice is visible in the irregular remains of the westernmost window of the top floor. The resultant building is a hybrid - a cast iron façade on Grand Street and deco-inspired masonry on Allen Street.
Designated a landmark in 2012 and spot zoned for use restrictions, conversion to residential use was allowed only by special permit from The City Planning Commission and under the highest standards of the Landmarks Preservation Commission. Design and planning work on the project began in early spring 2014 and was completed in late 2020.
In coordination with Building Conservation Associates the building shell and selected interior elements were completely restored resulting in eligibility for a Landmarks Tax Credit from the State Historic Preservation Office.
RESTORATION & ADAPTIVE REUSE
OF HISTORIC HYBRID BUILDING